When Tanya Bull returned home to join her husband Richard at a family gathering before Christmas, she was horrified to find him lying dead in the couple’s bathtub with burns so severe, she thought he had been attacked.
PLEASE TAKE NATIONAL POLLS AND PETITIONS. YOUR OPINION MATTERS Results Are Sent To Congress - Let Congress Hear Your Voice
PLEASE TAKE NATIONAL POLLS AND PETITIONS. YOUR OPINION MATTERS
Results Are Sent To Congress - Let Congress Hear Your Voice
But the coroner confirmed what had really killed the 32-year-old rugby player – his iPhone charger, which he had connected to an extension cord. Richard had apparently laid the iPhone charger on his chest and it had come in contact with the water, resulting in death by electrocution.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr. Sean Cummings said, “These seem like innocuous devices but can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom,” according to Daily Mail. “They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.”
Richard’s mother Carole stated, “I have worried that so many people and especially teenagers, that can’t be separated from their phones, don’t know how dangerous it is.”
The police verified how they found the extension cord running from the hallway outside into the bathroom with an iPhone plugged into it and then the charger element in the bath.
Dr. Cummings described the result of the electrocution saying, “The post mortem revealed burn marks on the right arm and the chest occurring as a result of electrocution. There were also burns on the right hand.” The death was ruled an accident.
Dr. Cummings has since warned Apple of the dangers posed by iPhone chargers.